Sources of Pollution: Trash
Discarded trash such as plastics, wrappers, and cigarettes may take years to decompose and may leach harmful chemicals into the environment. Trash also degrades the beauty of an area. Volunteers who participated in 2004 drain marking event on campus saw more cigarettes near drains than any other type of pollution.
The picture at the top of this page was taken in 2004 at a campus creek and shows the visual signs of trash on our environment.
What You Can Do About Trash
- Learn about UF Recycling and Solid Waste
- Recycle at home!
- Put a trash bag in your car
- Report those who throw pollution out of their vehicle to the Keep Alachua Beautiful Trash Troopers.
- Help clean up an area creek with Adopt-A-River/Current Problems, Inc. Email Fritzi to become involved, or call (352) 264-6827. (You don't have to be part of a pre-arranged group or have a long-term commitment.)
- Back to Sources of Pollution