Donald A. Graetz
Environmental Soil Biochemistry
Departmental Research Areas:
- Management of Nutrients, Pesticides, and Wastes
- Soil Quality/Ecosystem Services
- Wetlands and Aquatic Systems
Studies elemental (N, P, S, C) cycling in wetland soils, lake sediments, and poorly-drained and flooded soils are used to evaluate environmental problems associated with these elements. Research emphasizes environmental problems such as determining the ecosystem assimilative capacity for municipal and animal wastes.
- Select Publications
- Hanselman, T.A., D. A. Graetz, and T.A. Obreza. 2004. A comparison of In Situ methods for measuring net nitrogen mineralization rates of organic soil amendments. J. Environ. Qual. 33:1098-1105.
- Hanselman, T. A., D.A. Graetz, and A. C. Wilke. 2004. Comparison of three enzyme immunoassays for measuring 17B-estradiol in flushed dairy manure wastewater. J. Environ. Qual. 33:1919-1923.
- Nair, V. D. and D. A. Graetz. 2004. Agroforestry as an approach to minimizing nutrient loss from heavily fertilized soils: The Florida experience. Agroforestry Systems 61: 269-279.
- Nair, V. D., K. M. Portier, D. A. Graetz, and M. L. Walker. 2004. An environmental threshold for degree of phosphorus saturation in sandy soils. J. Environ. Qual. 33:107-113.
- Hanselman, T. A., D.A. Graetz, and A. C. Wilke. 2003. Fate of poultry manure estrogens in soils: A review. Soil Crop Sci. Soc. Florida Proc. 62-8-12.
- Hanselman, T. A., D. A. Graetz, and A. C. Wilke. 2003. Manure-borne estrogens potential environmental contaminants: A Review. Environ. Sci. Tech. 37:5471-5478.
- Mattos, D., D.A. Graetz, and A. K. Alva. 2003. Biomass distribution and 15-N partitioning in citrus trees on a sandy Entisol. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 67:555-563.
- Mattos, D. Jr., a. K. Alva, S. Paramasivam, and D. A. Graetz. 2003. Nitrogen volatilization and mineralization in a sandy Entisol of Florida under citrus. Comm. Soil Science Plant Analysis 34:1803-1824.
- Nair, V. D., D.A. Graetz and D. O. Dooley. 2003. Phosphorus release characteristics of manure and manure-impacted soils. Food, Agriculture and Environment 1:217-223.
- Wilson, S. B., P. J. Stoffella, and D.A. Graetz. 2003. Compost amended media and irrigation systems influence on containerized perennial Salvia. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 128:260- 268.
- Macoon, B. K. R. Woodard. L.E. Sollenberger, E.C. French, K.M. Portier, D.A. Graetz, G. M. Prine, and H.H. Van Horn, jr. 2002. Dairy effluent effects on herbage yield and nutritive value of forage cropping systems. Agron. J. 94:1043-1049.
- Nair, V.D. and D. A. Graetz. 2002. Phosphorus saturation in Spodosols impacted by manure. J. Environ. Qual. 31:1279-1285.
- Villapando**, R.R. and D.A. Graetz. 2001. Water table effects on phosphorus reactivity and mobility in a dairy manure-impacted spodosol. Ecol. Eng. 18:77-89.
- Villapando**, R.R. and D.A. Graetz. 2001. Phosphorus sorption and desorption properties of the spodic horizon from selected Florida spodosols. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65:331-339.