About the Course
This is an introductory course intended to acquaint students with many of the essential roles of water in the environment. Topics range from fundamental properties of water to the importance of water and water quality to society. Course topics also will include water in oceans, lakes, rivers, soils, and the atmosphere as well as the importance of water in various physical and chemical processes.
Each student who successfully completes the course should have a practical understanding of the following:
- The scale and distribution of global water resources
- Vocabulary to communicate fundamental concepts related to water science
- The varied and unusual properties of water
- The varied roles of water in many environmental processes including new and historic scientific developments in relation to water in the environment
- The fundamentals of water quality, terms and criteria for evaluating water quality, and how water quality is impacted by humans