Lecture 3: Conventional techniques for evaluating phosphorus release from soils - water soluble P and soil test P
View on YouTube
Explains water soluble phosphorus (WSP) as an important parameter in P-related issues, the extraction procedure for WSP, and soil testing for phosphorus, including choice of extractant and the extraction procedure for Mehlich 1-P, and compares two procedures for phosphorus analysis.
- Chrysostome, M., V.D. Nair, W.G. Harris, and R.D. Rhue. 2007. Minimizing confounding factors in phosphorus leaching assessment for dairy-and poultry-manure-amended soils. Commun. Soil Sci. Pl. Anal. 38:975 – 987.
- Fixen, P.E., and J.H. Grove. 1990. Testing soils for phosphorus. p. 141–180. In R.L. Westerman (ed.) Soil testing and plant analysis, 3rd ed. SSSA Book Series No. 3. Soil Sci. Soc. Am., Madison, WI.
- Hooda P.S., A.R. Rendell, and A.C. Edwards. 2000. Relating soil phosphorus indices to potential phosphorus release to water. Journal of Environmental Quality 29: 1166 – 1171.
- Kleinman, P., D. Sullivan, A. Wolf, R. Brandt, Z. Dou, H. Elliott, J. Kovar, A. Leytem, R. Maguire, P. Moore, L. Saporito, A. Sharpley, A. Shober, T. Sims, J. Toth, G. Toor, H. Zhang and T. Zhang. 2007. Selection of water-extractable phosphorus test for manures and biosolids as an indicator of runoff loss potential. Journal of Environmental Quality 36:1357 – 1367.
- Kovar, J.L. and G M. Pierzynski (editors). 2009. Methods of Phosphorus Analysis for Soils, Sediments, Residuals, and Waters. Second Edition. Southern Cooperative Series Bulletin No. 408. http://www.sera17.ext.vt.edu/Documents/P_Methods2ndEdition2009.pdf
- McDowell, R. W., and A. N. Sharpley. 2001. Soil phosphorus fractions in solution: influence of fertilizer and manure, filtration and method of determination. Chemosphere 45: 737 – 748.
- Mehlich, A. 1953. Determination of P, Ca, Mg, K, Na, and NH4. Soil Testing Div. Publ. 1 – 53. North Carolina Dep. of Agric., Raleigh.
- Mehlich, A. 1984. Mehlich 3 soil test extractant: A modification of Mehlich 2 extractant. Commun. in Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 15:1409 – 1416.
- Mylavarapu, R., Obreza, T., Morgan, K, Hochmuth, G., Nair, V., and Wright, A. 2014. Extraction of soil nutrients using Mehlich-3 reagent for acid-mineral soils of Florida. SL407. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/SS/SS62000.pdf
- Sims (1998). Soil testing for phosphorus: Environmental uses and implications. SERA-IEG 17 Minimizing agricultural phosphorus losses for protection of water resource. ISBN:1-58161-389-X