Funding for Prospective Graduate Students
Each Fall, several matching assistantships for students, Grinter Fellowships of $2,000 - $4,000, and Graduate School funding awards of $30,000 (over four years) are awarded to outstanding new students in Soil and Water Sciences. Additional or alternative funding may be available contingent upon faculty members' individual research programs (see current available opportunities below). Application to the graduate program automatically qualifies you for funding consideration, provided you have included the Application for Assistantship with your application documents.
Distance education students are not supported by departmental or faculty funding; however, they are eligible for competitive departmental scholarships (see SWSD Scholarships below), which range between $500 and $1,000.
See the Graduate Applications page for deadlines and instructions on applying to graduate programs.
Currently Available Graduate Assistantships
Applications for the following research assistantships are due by January 15, 2018:
- Ph.D. Assistantship in Biological Soil Crusts in Agroecosystems - starting Summer or Fall 2018
- Ph.D. Assistantship in Coastal Biogeochemistry - starting Fall 2018
- Ph.D. Assistantship in Soil Nutrient Cycling and Soil Health - starting Summer 2018
- Ph.D. Assistantship in Soil and Water Chemistry - starting Summer or Fall 2018
- Ph.D. Assistantship in Sustainable Agriculture - starting Fall 2018
- M.S. Assistantship(s) in Urban Soil and Water Quality - starting Summer or Fall 2018 (Highly qualified Ph.D. students are also encouraged to apply, as competitive fellowships are potentially available.)
Funding for Current Graduate and Undergraduate Students
Each of the links below contain a vast range of competitive scholarships and awards available to current graduate or undergraduate students at the University of Florida. Take time to look through them, it may pay off!
- College of Agricultural and Life Science Awards
- Graduate School Financial Aid Bulletin Board
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- UF Foundation Scholarships & Fellowships (CALS)
- UFIC Scholarship Resources
- Student Financial Affairs Scholarship Search Engine
- Student Financial Affairs Aid Programs
- Student Loans
- SWSD Graduate Student Scholarships - 2017 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 2
- SWSD Undergraduate Student Scholarships - 2017 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 16
- Wetland Biogeochemistry Graduate Fellows Program - 2017 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 2
- SWSD Quantitative Environmental Soil Science - Pedometrics - 2017 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 2
- Application Instructions for Graduate Student Awards
Please send all application materials to Michael Sisk by the deadline. SNRE students are not eligible for these departmental awards.
Application Packet Must Consist Of Three 3 (Items):
- A One Paragraph Self-Nomination Statement From Student Identifying Award(s) For Which They Are Applying & Qualifications.
- The Adviser Submits a Simple Endorsement (No Longer than 1 Paragraph). If Applications and/or Endorsements are Longer than 1 Paragraph, Only the First Paragraph will be Considered by Committee.
- 2017 Graduate Student Evaluation (If you would like to verify that 2017 graduate student evaluation is already on file, contact Michael Sisk).
Please direct any questions regarding application to award programs to the appropriate contact listed on the individual award or scholarship application.