Module 6: Other Applications of the PSR and SPSC Concepts
Lecture 1: Environmental and agronomic applications
Describes uses of the SPSC to assess environmental P risk, using the example of water-table management, and its use for optimal agronomic P application.
- Nair, V.D. W.G. Harris, D. Chakraborty, and M. Chrysostome. 2010. Understanding Soil Phosphorus Storage Capacity. SL 336. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/SS/SS54100.pdf
- Nair, V.D., W.G. Harris, and L.E. Sollenberger. 2008. A new tool combining assessment of environmental risk and optical agronomic application of phosphorus. ASA/CSSA/SSSA 2008 International Annual Meetings. CD Rom Publication.
Lecture 2: Site-specific prediction of P loss risk
Discusses the application of SPSC to identify and predict P-loss risk from a soil, with examples comparing high P-impacted dairy soils with low P-impacted pasture soils and evaluating SPSC values in a watershed. Details prediction of P loss in a column experiment and Bh horizon studies to demonstrate the use of SPSC to identify locations that are at P loss risk.
- Chakraborty, D., V.D. Nair, and W.G. Harris. 2012. Compositional differences between Alaquods and Paleudults affecting phosphorus sorption-desorption behavior. Soil Sci. 177:188–196.
- Chrysostome, M. 2005. Assessing the vertical movement of phosphorus in manure-impacted soils. PhD Dissertation. Soil and Water Science Department. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611.
- Chrysostome, M., V.D. Nair, W.G. Harris, and R.D. Rhue. 2007a. Laboratory Validation of Soil Phosphorus Storage Capacity Predictions for Use in Risk Assessment. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 71:1564-1569.
- Chrysostome, M., V.D. Nair, and W.G. Harris. 2007b. Phosphorus storage within spodic horizons of Florida Spodosols. ASA/CSSA/SSSA 2007 International Annual Meetings. CD Rom Publication.
- Nair, V.D., and W.G. Harris. 2004. A capacity factor as an alternative to soil test phosphorus in phosphorus risk assessment. New Zealand J. Agric. Res. 47:491-497.
- Nair, V.D, and W.G. Harris. 2014. Soil Phosphorus Storage Capacity for Environmental Risk Assessment. Advances in Agriculture. doi:10.1155/2014/723064.
- Showalter, J., V.D. Nair, D. Chakraborty, L. Liu, and Z. He. 2009. Identifying soil phosphorus sources and sinks within land-use systems of the Lake Okeechobee Basin. Southern Branch ASA Annual Meeting, Feb. 7-8, 2010. Orlando, FL.
Lecture 3: Phosphorus storage & release in tree-less & tree-based agricultural systems
Gives examples of SPSC at various silvopastoral sites to demonstrate its use in evaluating P storage and release under treeless and tree-based agricultural systems.
- Michel, G.-A. 2006. Reducing phosphorus and nitrate loss from pastureland. Ph D dissertation. Soil and Water Science Department, UF, Gainesville, FL.
- Michel, G.-A. , V.D. Nair, and P.K.R. Nair. 2007. Silvopasture for reducing phosphorus loss from subtropical sandy soils. Plant Soil. 297: 267-276.
- Nair, V.D., P.K.R. Nair, R. S. Kalmbacher, and I.V. Ezenwa. 2007. Reducing nutrient loss from farms through silvopastoral practices in coarse-textured soils of Florida, USA. Ecological Engineering 29: 192-199.
- Chakraborty D., V.D. Nair, W.G. Harris, and R.D. Rhue. 2011. Potential for phosphorus removal by plants from the spodic horizon. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/SS/SS56000.pdf
Lecture 4: Relationship of PSR and SPSC to edge-of-field and groundwater quality
Applies the SPSC concept to predicting P storage and release at a watershed or catchment level, using an example from beef cattle ranches in the Lake Okeechobee Watershed.
- Andres, A. S., and Sims, J. T. 2013. Assessing potential impacts of a wastewater rapid infiltration basin system on groundwater quality: A Delaware case study. J. Environ. Qual. 42, 391− 404.
Lecture 5: Overview of the PSR & SPSC concepts
Explains the relationship of PSR and SPSC to equilibrium P concentrations and summarizes the power of the PSR and SPSC concepts in understanding P storage and release from a soil for soil risk assessment applications.
- Chakraborty, D., V.D. Nair, W.G. Harris and R.D. Rhue. 2012. Environmentally-relevant phosphorus retention capacity of sandy coastal plain soils. Soil Sci. 177:701-707.
- Dari, B., V.D. Nair, J. Colee, W.G. Harris, and R. Mylavarapu. 2015. Estimation of phosphorus isotherm parameters: a simple and cost-effective procedure. Front. Environ. Sci. 3:70. doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2015.00070.
- Nair, V.D., M.W. Clark, and K.R. Reddy. 2015. Evaluation of legacy phosphorus storage and release from wetland soils. J. Environ. Qual. 44: 1956 – 1964. doi:10.2134/jeq2015.03.0154.
- Nair, V.D., and K.R. Reddy. 2013. Phosphorus sorption and desorption in wetland soils. pp 667 – 678. In: DeLaune, R., Reddy, K.R., Richardson, C.J., and Megonigal, P. (ed). Methods on biogeochemistry of wetlands. Soil Science Society of America Publication.