About the Course
Through this field-based Undergraduate Research Experiences (CURE) course, students will learn every step that is required to conduct research through lectures and field experiences, and carry out their own research throughout the course. Students will come up with research topics based on their interests, design their own study, collect samples, process samples, analyze data, and write up a research proposal and research report/manuscript. All field exercises will take place on the main campus in Gainesville, FL. Students will work as a team (a group of between 3 and 5 students) in a collaborative manner to conduct their research. Lectures are practical and use examples from soil and water science-related areas. Students will also learn how to write a scientific proposal and report or manuscript throughout the semester.
1. To practice how to conduct soil and water science research.
2. To demonstrate proficiency in writing a scientific research proposal and manuscript.
3. To acquire the required knowledge and skills about research methods that are used to conduct research.
4. To apply knowledge and skills to conduct research.
5. To execute skills related to effective oral and written communication
Semesters Offered: Spring
General Education Requirement Course: No
Textbook: None. Required readings are available in Canvas.