Funding for Prospective Graduate Students
Each Fall, several matching assistantships for students, Grinter Fellowships of $2,000 - $4,000, and Graduate School funding awards of $30,000 (over four years) are awarded to outstanding new students in Soil and Water Sciences. Additional or alternative funding may be available contingent upon faculty members' individual research programs (see current available opportunities below). Application to the graduate program automatically qualifies you for funding consideration, provided you have included the Application for Assistantship with your application documents.
Distance education students are not supported by departmental or faculty funding; however, they are eligible for competitive departmental scholarships (see SWSD Scholarships below), which range between $500 and $1,000.
See the page for deadlines and instructions on applying to graduate programs.
Funding for Current Graduate and Undergraduate Students
Each of the links below contain a vast range of competitive scholarships and awards available to current graduate or undergraduate students at the University of Florida. Take time to look through them, it may pay off!
- College of Agricultural and Life Science Awards
- Graduate School Financial Aid Bulletin Board
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- UFIC Scholarship Resources
- Student Financial Affairs Scholarship Search Engine
- Student Financial Affairs Aid Programs and Academic Scholarships
- CALS Study Abroad Scholarships
- Student Loans
SWSD Scholarships and Awards:
- SWSD Graduate Student Scholarships - 2018 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 1
- SWSD Undergraduate Student Scholarships - 2018 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 15
- Wetland Biogeochemistry Graduate Fellows Program - 2018 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 1
- SWSD Quantitative Environmental Soil Science - Pedometrics - 2018 Deadline: Monday, Oct. 1
- George J. Hochmuth Education Award
- 2018 Deadline: Monday, Oct 1st (Graduate); Monday, Oct 15th (Undergraduate)
Please direct any questions regarding application to award programs to the appropriate contact listed on the individual award or scholarship application.
Application Instructions for Graduate Student Awards
Please send all application materials to Michael Sisk by the deadline. SNRE students are not eligible for these departmental awards.
Application packet must consist of two (2) items:
- A one-paragraph self-nomination statement from student identifying award(s) for which they are applying and qualifications.
- The adviser submits a simple endorsement (no longer than 1 paragraph). If applications and/or endorsements are longer than 1 paragraph, only the first paragraph will be considered by committee.